We've known for some time that Shanghai was at the height of its luxury, and now the prestigious Forbes Travel Guide has discovered this city's most luxurious jewels.
Forbes Travel Guide recently announced its Five-Star ratings in Shanghai, China, one of the company's newest global destination. The Peninsula Shanghai and Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund won the coveted Five Stars, and the The Peninsula Spa by ESPA is the only property in Shanghai to achieve the Five-Star Spa award.
Whether you're looking for the best business travel hotel, the top boutique hotel or the hotel with the best technology, the editors and inspectors at Forbes Travel Guide have you covered. Having traveled to Shanghai and visited many of these properties, I'm personally thrilled to see the luxury hotels in Shanghai get the recognition they deserve.
These luxury hotels, spas and restaurants join the elite group of 57 hotels, 25 restaurants, and 30 hotel spas in the Americas and Asia to achieve the Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star status.
"In a short period of time, Shanghai has captured the minds and the hearts of our inspection team. Not only have the properties performed exceptionally well in high-end facilities and services, but the destination as a whole is truly one of the most exciting cities in the world," said Shane O'Flaherty, Forbes Travel Guide president of Global Ratings and Inspections.
But it wasn't just the stars that made news. Forbes editors also highlighted top hotels in Shanghai that have something unique and extraordinary about them - adding a little more star power to their spotlight.
- Top Boutique Hotel – The Langham, Xintiandi, Shanghai
- Top Business Hotel - The Ritz-Carlton Shanghai, Pudong
- Top Historic Hotel – Fairmont Peace Hotel
- Top New Hotel –Kerry Hotel, Pudong, Shanghai
- Top Technology Hotel- The Peninsula Shanghai
According to the release distributed by Forbes Travel Guide, Shanghai owns the highest number of Five- and Four-Star hotel and spa winners among the cities rated by Forbes Travel Guide. It's no surprise, really. Since the World Expo and the addition of dozens of luxury hotels in the city in just the past two years, Shanghai has quickly captured the eyes of travelers from around the world - not just in nearby cities.
In 2011, the total tourism revenue of Shanghai reached CNY 278.654 billion with over 230.8 million domestic visitors and USD 5.835 billion from the 8.1 million overseas inbound visitors, as a result of increased international events, local lifestyle evolution, and developing infrastructure to meet the growing demands for luxury by discerning travelers, according to Forbes.
Forbes Travel Guide currently rates hotels, restaurants and spas in the U.S., and Asian cities including Beijing, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore and now Shanghai, China.Here is the full list of Shanghai star winners:Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star Hotels
Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star Spas
- The Peninsula Shanghai
- Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund
Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star Hotels
- The Peninsula Spa by ESPA, Shanghai
Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star Spas
- Fairmont Peace Hotel
- Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai
- Grand Hyatt Shanghai
- InterContinental Shanghai Puxi
- InterContinental Shanghai Expo
- Jumeirah Himalayas Hotel
- JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square
- Kerry Hotel, Pudong, Shanghai
- Park Hyatt Shanghai
- Pudong Shangri-La, Shanghai
- The Langham, Xintiandi, Shanghai
- The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai
- The PuLi Hotel and Spa
- The Ritz-Carlton Shanghai, Pudong
Forbes Travel Guide Three-Star Hotels
- Willow Stream Spa, Fairmont Peace Hotel
- Qin The Spa, Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai
- Spa InterContinental, InterContinental Shanghai Expo
- Mandara Spa, JW Marriott Hotel at Tomorrow Square
- Water's Edge, Shanghai, Park Hyatt Shanghai
- Chuan Spa, The Langham, Xintiandi, Shanghai
- Anantara Spa, The PuLi Hotel and Spa
- The Ritz-Carlton Shanghai, Pudong Spa by ESPA
- Gran Meliá Shanghai
- Millennium Hongqiao Hotel Shanghai
- Shanghai JC Mandarin
- Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences
- Swissôtel Grand Shanghai
For more Four- and Five-Star winners from around the world, visit www.startle.com,
the online home of Forbes Travel Guide.Melanie Nayer is a hotel reviewer and expert on luxury travel around the world. She has covered all aspects of hotels including corporate restructures, re-branding initiatives, historical aspects and the best of the best in luxury hotels around the world.
Melanie writes a weekly exclusive column for 4Hoteliers.com