|British travellers vote on airlines.|
Tuesday, 21st October 2008
Source : 4Hoteliers & sources.
Coming top of the favourite list were Virgin Atlantic, British Airways, and Emirates, due to friendly and helpful staff, comfortable seats and good on-time arrival and departures.
For the third year in a row however, Ryanair hits bottom of the list - Of the 450 Brits questioned, 30% voted Ryanair, the low-cost airline, as their least favourite.
In a worldwide poll of over 8,000 travellers, British Airways also topped the list, along with Singapore Airlines and Air France.
Other key findings of the TripAdvisor survey of British travellers include:
- 56% plan to spend more on leisure travel in the next 12 months than they did in the past 12 months.
- 33% will take three holidays in the next year.
- 53% spent more than they budgeted for leisure travel in the past 12 months.
- 26% think the cost of fuel isn't important when choosing where to go on their next holiday.
- 69% said the unfavourable exchange rates will not prevent or limit their travel to Europe in the next 12 months.
- 21% said they will be more environmentally-conscious in their travel decisions in the upcoming year than the past year.
- 90% think mobile phones should be banned on flights, compared to just 81% of worldwide travellers.
- 46% of UK travellers want wireless internet access on airlines compared to 62% of worldwide travellers.
- 9% of British travellers are willing to pay extra for in-fight internet access.
- 56% could imagine airlines charging extra for a window view in the future .
- 90% would pay 10% or more to sit in a quiet section of an aircraft.
- 77% think families with young children should sit in their own section of an aircraft.
- 23% said Heathrow was their least favourite airport.
- 26% are likely to engage in an adventure activity in the next year.
- 5% are likely to engage in an extreme sports activity.
- 35% are likely to take a garden tour.
- 49% will visit a spa.
- 10% are likely to go skiing/snowboarding.
- 41% have six weeks or more annual holiday time.
- 10% said they did not take all of their allotted holiday time, the number one reason because they can't afford to be away from work that much.
- 68% are concerned about germs, bacteria and viruses when travelling.
- 16% said they don't think a shoe shiner deserves a tip, but 61% think a hotel housekeeper does.
- 29% said they never check their email on a week or longer holiday, while 49% check their email once or twice.
- 28% said they have had more trouble booking desired flights in the past 12 months, than the previous year.
- 10% said they had a flight cancelled this year because their route or flight was permanently eliminated from their carrier's schedule.
- 80% are comfortable with the new full body scanners used by some airport security, compared with 70% of worldwide travellers.