Travelers would prefer to lose their luggage than their phone. Friday, 27th June 2014 Source : Choice Hotels International, Inc.
Choice Hotels International announced the top ten summer travel trends from its 2014 Summer Travel Survey.††
1. More Trips, But Fewer Nights Away† There will be a 17.2 percent increase in the number of leisure trips taken this summer, but travelers will spend fewer nights away, with a decrease of 9.4 percent.
2. The Beach in August† August will be the busiest month for leisure travel this summer. When asked about their preferred leisure travel destination, 43.1 percent of respondents said they would most enjoy a beach, followed by mountains at 12.3 percent and a city at 10.4 percent.
3. Travelers Prefer Driving The survey found that 75.3 percent of summer travelers are planning to drive to their leisure travel destination this summer, driving an average of 689 miles round-trip. Fifty percent of respondents also said that they would prefer a two-hour drive compared to a flight, bus or train ride to get to their summer vacation.
4. Free High-Speed Internet Most Important† Free high-speed Internet was selected by 65.5 percent of respondents as the "must-have" amenity when selecting a hotel or resort for summer travel. Following free high-speed internet, free continental breakfast and an in-room refrigerator polled highest for needed amenities at 54.5 and 49.6 percent, respectively.
5. Loyalty Programs Influence Travelers' Booking Decisions† The survey also showed that 34.6 percent of travelers say that loyalty and incentive programs influence where, how and when they travel, and over 53 percent of respondents are enrolled in travel rewards programs.
6. Travelers Would Rather Lose Their Luggage than Their Phone† In this increasingly digital world, survey results showed that Millennials and parents with children under 12 years of age would rather lose their luggage than their mobile phone when travelling.
7. Camping is the Least Favorite Vacation† Nearly 40 percent of travelers (38.2 percent) said that camping was the least desirable type of summer vacation.
8. New Locations Trump Old Favorites† Almost 70 percent of respondents (66.8 percent) would prefer to visit somewhere new over returning to a favorite vacation destination this summer.
9. Travelers Want to Explore Cuisines, Unless They Have Kids† When on summer vacation, 28.9 percent of respondents choose to dine at restaurants they can't find at home, unless they are traveling with children. If travelers have children under 12 years of age, 24.5 percent most often visit casual dining restaurants, like TGI Friday's and Applebee's.
10. Millennials are Travelling with Pets† The survey found that Millennials are 21.7 percent more likely than older generations to be traveling with a pet this summer. Correlatively, 34.2 percent said locating a place to stay was the greatest inconvenience when travelling with a pet.
"The Choice Hotels 2014 Summer Travel Survey indicates that almost 90 percent of Americans plan to take an overnight leisure trip this summer," said Patrick Pacious, executive vice president, and Chief Operating Officer at Choice Hotels. "It's critical that hotels stay abreast of the shifting trends in American travel and Choice Hotels wants to ensure that important demographics like Millennials are catered to during their travels."
The Choice Hotels 2014 Summer Travel Survey was conducted by research company, Newlio (www.newlio.com) among 1350 U.S. adults that are planning to take one or more overnight leisure trips this summer.
~ Important Notice ~ Articles appearing on 4Hoteliers contain copyright material. They are meant for your personal use and may not be reproduced or redistributed. While 4Hoteliers makes every effort to ensure accuracy, we can not be held responsible for the content nor the views expressed, which may not necessarily be those of either the original author or 4Hoteliers or its agents.