|Koh Samui hotel market update: Poised for further growth.|
Tuesday, 15th April 2014
Source : JLLís Hotels & Hospitality Group
Growing prominence of Surat Thani airport as a secondary gateway to Samui, in addition to the existing airport, has helped fuel demand.
- Visitor arrivals to Samui Airport in 2013 increased by 14.5% over 2012 to 1.5 million.
- Average length of stay in Samui has been declining as a result of growing prominence of short-stay visitors from the region.
- According to the Department of Tourism, there are 20,047 hotel rooms in Samui as at 2013 year-end.
- The large increase of high-end resorts during the past three years has repositioned the island as a luxury resort
- Current political demonstrations in Bangkok have had a minimal impact on hotel trading performances.
- Occupancy in 2013 reached a record of 73% growing by about 5% over 2012.
- ADR declined from 2008 through 2012 before recording subpar growth of 1% in 2013 to THB 3,940. RevPAR growth of 8.9% to THB 2,870 in 2013 was largely occupancy driven.
- The supply pipeline for Samui is slowing over the next three years and is largely concentrated in the midscale to upscale segments.
- Demand fundamentals remain healthy going forward and we anticipate continued emergence of short-stay demand from key Asian source markets.
- We expect China, Russia and India visitor markets to be the strongest growth markets in the medium term.
New Additions during 2013 to Q1 2014
- Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, 79 keys
- KC Beach Club Hotel & Pool Villas, 42 keys
- Escape Beach Resort, 69 keys
- Ozo Chaweng Samui, 210 keys, Q1 201
Notable Hotel Transactions
- Anantara Bphut Koh Samui Resort & Spa, 106 keys (Reopened in Nov 2013 after seven months of extensive renovations)
- Buddy Oriental Samui Beach Resort, 133 keys in November 2013 (Price: Confidential)
Hotel Currently for Sale by JLL
- Bhundari Spa Resort & Villas, 126 keys
About JLLís Hotels & Hospitality Group
JLLís Hotels & Hospitality Group serves as the hospitality industryís global leader in real estate services for luxury, upscale, select service and budget hotels; timeshare and fractional ownership properties; convention centers; mixed-use developments and other hospitality properties. The firmís 300 dedicated hotel and hospitality experts partner with investors and owner/operators around the globe to support and shape investment strategies that deliver maximum value throughout the entire lifecycle of an asset.
For inquiries, contact:† www.ap.jll.com