|Bangkok wins 2013 best leisure destination.|
Thursday, 26th December 2013
Source : Tourism Authority of Thailand
Bangkok has won the 'Best Leisure Destination in the Asia-Pacific' award, according to the annual Readers Poll conducted by Business Traveller Asia-Pacific.
Thailand has also received another top award, the “Best Business Hotel in Bangkok” won by the Shangri-La Hotel.
Altogether, Thai hotels, airlines and tourist destinations figured prominently in 13 of the 56 categories of the awards conferred by the magazine at a gala ceremony held on 27 September 2013 at the Conrad Hotel Hong Kong.
The award of “Best Leisure Destination in the Asia-Pacific” for Bangkok was accepted by Ms. Titiporn Maneenate, Director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Hong Kong Office.
TAT Governor Suraphon Svetasreni commented on Bangkok’s receiving the award, “Our research shows that tourists love Bangkok because of the city’s great value for money and the huge variety of attractions for people of all ages and interests. Whether it is entertainment, delicious food, the high life, charming culture, or the friendly hospitality of its residents, Bangkok truly has something for everyone.
“In addition to shopping malls, department stores and local markets, Bangkok is also the centre of Thai culture. It is a truly cosmopolitan city that is a perfect mixture of the old and the new. No matter how the city has evolved over the centuries, it still retains things that have an eternal appeal for foreign visitors. Its modern infrastructure and extensive transport system enhance the enjoyment of everyone who visits here.”
The Business Traveller Asia-Pacific magazine claims a circulation of 55,000 copies per month distributed at bookshops, hotels, airline lounges, etc. The awards are now in their 22nd year.
Between April and June 2013, the magazine sent out poll forms to its subscribers, who are some of the region’s most frequent travellers. The response rate was 10.42 percent, and results were compiled by market research leader Ipsos. The full results appear in the October 2013 issue of the magazine.
Other Thai winners of the 2013 Business Traveller Asia-Pacific Awards are:
- Best Airline: Thai Airways (second runner-up)
- Best Asia-Pacific Airline: Thai Airways (second runner-up)
- Best Economy Class: Thai Airways (second runner-up)
- Best Frequent-Flyer Programme: Thai Airways (second runner-up)
- Best Business City in Southeast Asia: Bangkok (first runner-up)
- Best New Business Hotel in the Asia-Pacific: W Bangkok (second runner-up)
- Best Resort Hotel in the Asia-Pacific: Banyan Tree Koh Samui (second runner-up)
- Best Business Hotel in Bangkok: Shangri-La Hotel (winner), Grand Hyatt Erawan (first runner-up), and Mandarin Oriental (second runner-up)
- Best Serviced Residence in the Asia-Pacific: Ascott Sathorn Bangkok (first runner-up)