|Are you ready to enter the global e-commerce markets?|
Wednesday, 27th November 2013
Source : Jones Lang LaSalle
It’s not as easy as translating your bricks and mortar strategy to an online platform; nor can you simply upgrade your existing e-tail model.
No, global e-commerce is highly complex because market conditions vary hugely between countries due to differences in internet penetration, smart phone usage, demographics, regulatory climate, logistics and transport infrastructure, and industrial real estate options. Mastering these factors can provide a platform for your success.
This white paper, the first in a series of three, takes a close look at the hurdles and opportunities, changes and challenges business face when entering this dynamic landscape.
Infographic: The evolution of retail logistics:
- Global online retail has grown 14.8% on average per year, 2007 to 2012. Total B2C e-commerce sales are expected to exceed $1.2 trillion this year alone.
- Online retail only accounts for 4% of total global retail sales—meaning there is enormous opportunity for growth in this sector.
- Markets vary greatly between countries, especially between developed and developing nations.
- Factors that affect e-commerce include: internet penetration, fixed and mobile broadband costs, smart phone usage, demographics, the regulatory climate, the logistics and transport infrastructure, and industrial real estate options.
- Successful e-commerce depends on adopting new logistics models and utilizing distribution properties that may include mega e-fulfillment centers, parcel hubs and delivery centers, local ‘urban logistics’ depots for rapid order fulfillment, and returns processing centers.
- Moving from multi-channel to omni-channel management enables retailers to meet customer demand in a fully integrated and seamless way from whatever location is positioned to provide the best customer experience.
- Feet-on-the-ground knowledge, particularly of supply chain, properties, real estate transactions and cross-border commerce opportunities, is vital.
- Delivering efficiency and a superior consumer experience can give retailers enhanced brand value.
Download the white paper: E-commerce boom triggers transformation in retail logistics